Pro Tools 10 represents “a gigantic leap in sound and speed,” incorporating over 50 major new features, including clip gain, real time fades, the new Channel Strip plug-in (based on the Euphonix System 5 console channel strip), Eucon enhancements, and more. See below for the full range of features and capabilities.
The Pro Tools|HDX system is the new generation of HD systems, and represents a milestone in Avid’s development of DSP-accelerated hardware, delivering up to 5x more DSP per card, over a thousand dB of additional headroom, and up to 4x the track counts and 2x the I/O compared to its Pro Tools|HD Accel predecessor.
The system can be scaled to increase track counts, power, and I/O, using up to three Pro Tools|HDX cards and multiple Pro Tools HD Series interfaces.
With this new addition there are now two options in the Pro Tools|HD family:
Customers can choose the Pro Tools|HD Native system if they need the workflows and sound quality of Pro Tools HD and want to leverage their host computer to get the best performance and lowest latency, or they can choose the next-level DSP-accelerated Pro Tools|HDX system and get “consistent peak performance and near-zero latency to handle extremely large and complex productions.”
According to Avid, with Pro Tools |HDX, you get the following features and capabilities…
Mix bigger, better projects faster
- Get up to 5x the processing power of previous generation cards
- Manage larger productions with fewer cards, with up to 4x the playable track counts
- Work with up to 64 channels of I/O per card, enabling larger configurations with fewer cards
- Over 1,000 dB additional headroom and higher resolution sound, thanks to the new floating-point architecture
- Capture, monitor, and output audio in pristine clarity with a choice of Pro Tools HD Series interfaces
Pro Tools HD 10 software
- Record and play back up to 256 audio tracks per card (or play back up to 768 tracks with three cards) to support the most massive mixes
- Get great recording and playback responsiveness with the extended disk cache, which can load entire sessions into RAM, and ensures maximum track counts from networked-attached storage, such as Avid Unity ISIS, and slower local drives
- Control up to 12 Pro Tools|HD systems from one using the Satellite Link option
- Mix audio from up to two Pro Tools|HD systems with a D-Command control surface through Multi-mode
New AAX Plug-in Format
- Pro Tools HD 10 introduces the new AAX (Avid Audio eXtension) plug-in format, enabling better workflows and sound parity when sharing sessions between DSP-accelerated and Native-based Pro Tools systems
- With two formats available – AAX DSP and AAX Native – AAX opens the door to future advancements in Pro Tools technology. According to Avid, over 25 third party developers will be showing new AAX plug-ins at AES this weekend.
The Pro Tools|HDX system with Pro Tools 10 HD starts at just under $10K, and will be available before the end of the year. Click for more information.
As for the new Pro Tools 10 software, there are a whole slew of new capabilities, particularly time-saving functionality, and improved sound quality.
Here’s the rundown of new capabilities with Pro Tools 10:
- Speed up pre-mix and editing workflows with Clip Gain, which separates pre-mix levels from Pro Tools software’s mixing automation,
- Experience better performance – even on network-attached or slow local drives – with disk handling improvements and real-time fades
- Get more flexibility – and 24-hour timeline capability – when conforming multiple projects into a single timeline
Sound your best, faster than ever
- Use multiple file formats and mixed bit depths in the same project – including interleaved – without converting files
- Record, edit, and mix in higher resolution with 32-bit floating-point file format support
- Get the sound of the renowned System 5 console EQ and dynamics with the Avid Channel Strip plug-in, now included with Pro Tools 10
Pro Tools 10 is available now. Pricing starts at $699. If you’re a current PT 9 user, the upgrade is $299. Click for more information.